Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Raihan was inspired by disco tune?!!

I've been staying over at my aunt's place in Singapore since Monday. My uncle here, who's very fond of watching old music videos - especially from the 70's and 80's - on the TV in their living room, played a video of Boney M's hit song, Rivers of Babylon last night. I overheard the song when I was in my cousins' room - with two of my cousins - laughing our hearts out, watching funny clips on Youtube. Hariz, the older of the two, suddenly began singing Raihan's catchy english song, Thank You Allah. And then I realized, what a coincidence this is: Thank You Allah and Rivers of Babylon sound very much alike! Is it possible that perhaps Raihan was really inspired by a disco song; or maybe this song was playing in their subconscious mind when they were writing Thank You Allah?

Why don't you take the challenge and be the judge to decide what are the odds that one day we might hear a nasyid song which sounds like Lady Gaga's Bad Romance?

First, let's listen to Boney M. - Rivers of Babylon.



Here is the song by Raihan, which has a very oddly similar tune to the disco hit above.



After doing some search on Youtube, I've found this video below. It's actually quite interesting.





Finally, here is the video that my cousins and I were watching on Youtube when we overheard my uncle played Boney M in the living room:



Note: It's obviously very bad to laugh at others' misfortunes, but often, the schadenfreude in us is just too hard to resist.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Medical practitioner. Amateur philosopher, pianist and composer.