Sunday, November 21, 2010

Haitian Protesters - Don't Bite The Hand That Feeds You

You must have heard about the cholera outbreak that has struck Haiti recently. Some parties apparently claim that the UN peacekeepers are responsible for this outbreak - and took this cause to the streets. I can't even imagine what to respond to such things.

  There is no doubt, that by mere accident, the Nepalese peacekeepers that the UN has brought in to aid reconstruct Haiti might have carried the disease and spread it to many Haitians, resulting in the unfortunate deaths of at least a thousand of them.

  However, the fact that the UN is struggling enough to fight this epidemic (still appealing for millions of dollars of donation) might have been grossly overlooked by the angry mob.

  I admit that as I sit comfortably typing these words out to criticize the Haitian protesters, I cannot possibly understand their plight. That said, I hope the efforts to alleviate the matter and prevent more tragic loss of lives to be successful, very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Medical practitioner. Amateur philosopher, pianist and composer.