Saturday, January 22, 2011

50 Book Challenge


‘The first step towards the attainment of real discovery was the humiliating confession of ignorance.' 
Sir Humphry Davy (1778 - 1829)


And so I humbly admit my ignorance. Even if I will fail to achieve the Romantic ethos of 'real discovery', I strongly hold that there is still much to learn from what others have already discovered. From Archimedes to Newton; Smith to Keynes; Cook to Armstrong; Hippocrates to Jenner. Great men and women have long toiled to unravel the mysteries, disprove false beliefs, and ultimately, enable us to understand a little more about our life and the Universe we live in.
  
I challenge myself to read 50 books this year - a tall order especially while studying medicine, but not impossible - hoping to understand what these great people have long did. Yes, I'm treading a road already taken by others - by merely absorbing second-hand knowledge. But to follow the steps of Sir Davy towards making a real discovery, I shall begin with a 'humiliating confession of ignorance.'

...
Find out the 10 best books I read in 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Medical practitioner. Amateur philosopher, pianist and composer.