Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Structured Chaos

Structure and chaos are opposites of each other. A structure is by definition something that is orderly, precise and predictable. In contrast, chaos is without order, vague and unpredictable. However, despite their opposing nature, I think structure and chaos are closely intertwined at a deeper level.

There are generally two ways of building a structure: (1) from template; or (2) from chaos. I argue that structures that are built from chaos - that is, structured chaos - are much more robust and stronger than those reproduced or built from blueprints. Let me give some examples.

Take the computer as a structure, for example. We are all aware that there is a fixed, orderly, and predictable relationship between the components of a computer - CPU, RAM, hard disk, etc. In fact within each component, there is an even more intricate and precise order of much smaller parts. While this highly structured piece of modern technology has become an integral part of our lives, unfortunately, we also know that it is quite fragile. It can overheat, easily broken to pieces, and also susceptible to viruses and malwares.

Compare this to the human body. Of course there is also a fixed order between the parts of the human body - the brain in the head does the thinking, heart between the lungs pumps blood, bowels in the abdomen absorb nutrients, etc. But underneath this order there is also chaos - the normal variation of our anatomy, genetic makeup, and living conditions. And yet, the human body - a structured chaos - can survive physical trauma, environmental stressors, and many different kinds of infection!

What does this all mean then? Well, I'm only trying to justify my own chaotic mind. I envy many of my colleagues who have a structured approach to study by memorising the facts in lecture notes and simply do the practical stuff the way we are taught to do it. Meanwhile, I don't usually revisit lecture notes, preferring to read other sources and then reorganize all the facts back together in my head.

At least I like to think that, while many of my friends study to pass exams, I study for my own interest. Even computers can pass exams by simply storing and regurgitating all the facts! What makes us different from computers, is that we can create new links between the facts stored in our memory, and therefore speculate and create new hypotheses. This can happen in spite of the disorganized way facts are stored in our brain. In other words, we can build structure from chaos - i.e. structured chaos. Isn't this the root of our creativity?

2 comments:

About Me

My photo
Medical practitioner. Amateur philosopher, pianist and composer.