Sunday, March 4, 2012

Sunday Morning Reflection

Waking up early on a Sunday morning is a great triumph. This is especially true when there's no particular plan for the day. What this means is that I have all this time to myself. If I'm meeting someone later, getting up early gives me more time to be on my own.

We don't get this me-time on weekdays, or later parts of the weekend as they are spent fulfilling our commitments to our job, close friends, and family. And it usually continues throughout weeknights, as our minds would still be bogged down by unfinished jobs and plans for the following day. Don't get me wrong, these are still time well spent, even when they are dedicated to other people. 


What is special about Sunday morning is that, usually by Saturday night, we have fully recovered all our physical and mental energy spent in the past week of hard work. Despite this, we have all day today to ourselves. 

"So what should I do with all this free time?"

We shouldn't be asking ourselves this question. When it comes up to mind, that means boredom will set it soon, if it hasn't already done so. Boredom, is equally suffering to the mind as exhaustion. If in exhaustion we have lost the resources (either physical or mental energy, or time) to lead a satisfying life, when bored, we have lost our direction and purpose to live (despite having time and energy) altogether.

So actually, boredom is a worse condition than exhaustion. No wonder depression is still rampant in our society despite all the conveniences of modern living. In fact, it could be more prevalent as with readily available food, and assistance of technology, we have more free time, but with no clear direction on how to spend our time meaningfully.


Fortunately, I have found what I'd like to do with my time. By reading, reflecting and writing, I can have a million years, and neither boredom nor exhaustion will set in. C'est la vie! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Medical practitioner. Amateur philosopher, pianist and composer.